By the way, the term flat roofs do not necessarily connote entirely flat roofs. Flat roofs are perfect for decorated garden rooftops. A flat roof is a bit sloped, making it easy for water to pass through the drains. It should not come to you as a surprise that flat roofs are vulnerable to clogging that can cause leaks.
Therefore, if you have decided to install a flat roof, you ought to be aware of how you can drain it. Many flat roofs have been damaged and have eventually collapsed by stagnant water. This article will recommend some reliable ways you can drain water from your flat roof.
Many commercial properties employ inner drains. This has to do with positioning pipes beneath the roof or within the parapet to ensure the space is appealing without showing any pipes.
This particular draining system is positioned at the roof’s middle or anywhere the sloped drain is channeled to. Inner drains are most suitable for large roofs.
- Inner drains let you use the whole of your roof without any hindrance.
- It does not cause any damage to the wall because of the pipes.
- Trying to service and maintain inner drains is an expensive adventure. That is because the pipes are inserted beneath the roof.
In this drainage system, an opening is created by the wall’s side, where water is channeled to the downspouts or gutters. Many homeowners love to combine scuppers with downspouts to offer extra protection against water damages caused on the walls. A collector head alongside the scuppers will equally protect the walls.
- Scuppers don’t cost as much as inner drains. Wide scuppers seem like the best choice.
- It does not allow debris to obstruct water flow.
- Small-sized scuppers can easily get clogged.
- You do not have any choice but to buy downspouts to complement the efforts of your scuppers.
Gutters are equally referred to as conductor pipes. It’s a trough positioned at the roof’s edge to drain off excess water. This material can only be installed on a properly constructed roof. The second condition is that the slopes need regular maintenance – removing the debris and leaves can do that for you. How long your gutters last is determined by the type of material used. The most popular materials are galvanized steel, vinyl, and aluminium.
- They are not only perfect for directing water flow but are also relatively inexpensive.
- Gutters help to prevent soil erosion and foundational issues.
- Gutters would require you to do more cleaning due to leaves and debris accumulating on the roof. That is necessary to ensure its long lifespan.
Which Method Should I Use?
These methods are all effective and suitable for flat roofs. You can use anyone you are comfortable with. Whichever one you choose to implement will help you prolong the longevity of your flat roof, and that is what is most important. Do the right thing and watch your flat roof withstand all the possible elements.